P 896 – Manufacturing of preholes by cutting for clinching pro-cesses and riveting functional elements at high strength steels
“Manufacturing of pre holes by cutting for Clinching processes and riveting functional elements at high strength steels“
The goal within the project is to produce special hole geometries for the use of the subsequently joining techniques, especially for clinching with pre hole and riveting elements.
This project could show:
1. cutting of high strength steels and presshardened steels with reduced process force and reduced opposite Force up to 60% can be realized by using angle cutting
2. specific conditioning of pre hole geometry to the demands of this joining techniques by parallel an angle cutting
3. Integration of additional functions for joining techniques in the sheet layer, to increase the testing torque and independence of joining direction
4. basic characterization for a new clinching method to join high strength steels with other sheet metal materials, to extend the process limitations of material combinations which cannot be joined by clinching at this moment, because only the forming limits of the punch side layer defines the setting process of this new method
5. Test of the mechanical properties of such modified joining elements
Economic advantages that accrued are lower load on equipment and tools at the cutting process to increase the quantity of cutting tools. There is e.g. the possibility to use smaller and lighter C-Frames.
The results of this project are leading to an extension of the range of application, of products and joining systems. This new technical expertise could be transferred in a short time into practical use, because these joining techniques are still integrated in production processes. The modification of setting tools and the assembling process are not necessary, because the cutting process could be separated to the joining process into an earlier production step. The change of tools, a modification of construction details or the introduction of a new product could be definite the time of introduction in production process.
Prof. Dr.-Ing. habil. U. Füssel